Threatpost Staff Writer
Threatpost Inc. is looking for a high-calibre Staff Writer to join the Threatpost Security News Service! In this role, you will be responsible for writing breaking news for Threatpost, as well as producing podcasts and other multimedia content, plus handling some site management duties.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Produce high-quality, exclusive written news stories in the IT security space with an emphasis on meeting deadlines. The Staff Writer must produce an average minimum of one news story a day.
- Production of at least one podcast interview per week and occasional video production and slideshow development as assigned by the Editor in Chief.
- Network with the professional security community, including researchers, R&D personnel and security response teams through regular phone calls, face-to-face meetings with contacts, panels, and attending conferences.
- Work principally to the directions of the Editorial leadership at Threatpost.
- Manage Threatpost’s social media presence, uploading content to Twitter, Facebook and other social networks in an effort to increase traffic and engagement with readers.
- Work to ensure a high level of communication and teamwork to help improve all aspects of Threatpost.
- Work to ensure the accuracy, style and legality of all editorial content produced
What You Should Have/Know:
- At least 2 years of experience as a business or security news reporter working in a deadline-driven publishing environment for a known media outlet, either print-to-digital or digital only.
- Ability to meet deadlines
- IT security-specific reporting experience
- Must be comfortable working in a digital-first content environment
- Experience posting content to, and managing, a WordPress environment. Must have fluency with a content management system, finding/uploading/sizing of images for web, tagging stories, working with multimedia, sourcing stories from social media, leveraging the major social platforms for editorial promotion
- Team player who enjoys working in a collaborative news room, communicating with colleagues, breaking news, and explaining complex topics to a specialized audience
If you are to become a member of the team at Threatpost, you will be expected to set high standards in every aspect of your work, including general behavior, professionalism, and representing Threatpost externally. Success will be measured by the timeliness and quality of writing, as well as analysis for longer pieces, the ability to hit deadlines, and representing and raising awareness of the Threatpost brand.