The Director - Business Development, Pharmaceutical & MedTech will report directly to the SVP & General Manager and be responsible for the design and launch of this key business unit within the organization. The Director will actively contribute to building Nuance’s global reputation as a partner-of-choice in identifying and delivering on innovative opportunities. S/he will have the complete support of the commercial organization to achieve our internal goal of executing 10+ new business development deals by 2023, including end-to-end responsibility in overseeing all project stages from market mapping, commercial viability, due diligence, forecasting; through to and including, internal deal approval, in/out/partnership licensing negotiations and deal execution/alliance management. The Director will be responsible for building relationships and executing transactions across the global healthcare ecosystem, including partnerships with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, medical device, academic-medical centers, research institutions, and AI/machine learning aided diagnosis platforms. The scope of potential opportunities could include pre-clinical, clinical, and commercial-stage asset acquisitions and strategic partnerships, leaning into rare or orphan disease markets. S/he will also have full accountability for leading, managing and enhancing alliances and partnerships, to ensure maximum impact and a collaborative spirit.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Due diligence, ecosystem, product, and partnership evaluation
- Clinical/scientific assessments; establishing commercial opportunity; analysis of competitive landscape, and financial modeling.
- Partnering internally and externally to develop valuation models and lead/manage internal due diligence process, interacting with clinical, non-clinical, commercial, regulatory, finance, and legal roles.
- Researching and qualifying leads obtained via LinkedIn, Web, CRM, trade shows and events, marketing, etc.
- Attending scientific, medical, and financial conferences to represent Nuance and identify and develop relevant business relations.
- Consolidating a base of contacts within the Life Science industry.
- Engaging with major Pharma/MedTech clients across multiple stakeholder groups including but not limited to C-Suite Executives, Therapeutic leadership teams, Bioinformatics, IT, Purchasing, R&D and Data Science Teams.
- Securing strategic new business (closure of high value and complex technology and/or solution sales while growing existing accounts).
- Tracking and gauging the effectiveness of activities, reporting on metrics.
- Communicating with existing clients to understand their needs and communicating Nuance’s value-proposition to potential customers.
- Providing recommendations on product roadmaps to advance partnership ecosystems.
As a key member of the Commercial Leadership team, the Director of Business Development will partner closely with their sales, marketing, and commercial operations counterparts. This role will require a dynamic leader with strong executive presence that is able to work effectively in a highly matrixed organization, comfortable both engaging multiple levels of leadership within Nuance and Alliance partners. This is a highly visible, high impact role within a dynamic organization that will require great technical, leadership, and collaboration skills to be successful.
To be well positioned for this role, you must have:
- A solid foundation of BD&L practices, including:
- Either pharma or med device term sheets and deal structures
- Valuation methods
- Product management for BD&L.
- Owned or led a successful BD deal.
- Produced high quality assessments and deal thesis which you have defended at the executive leadership level.
- Possess strong business acumen, strategic thinking, direct and indirect leaderships skills necessary to drive multi-disciplinary teams in a highly matrix organization effectively to achieve project timelines and goals.
- Strong networking skills to reach out to a broad range of industry decision makers and stay ahead of emerging opportunities.
- Demonstrated negotiation, problem solving and influencing skills.
- Bachelor’s degree; Advanced degree (MBA, Ph.D., or M.D.) is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant business development experience within healthcare with Pharma or biotech BD experience.
- Strong understanding of the drug/medical device development process, lifecycle management, and product commercialization.
- Strong understanding of the specialty, rare/orphan disease market (HCP/pt journeys, treatment flows, forecast models).
- Strong analytic and strategic skills.
- Ability to build and own a deal model, forecasting, and analyses.
- Leadership skills and ability to collaborate across functions and organizations in a highly complex and dynamic environment.
- Strong executive presence, direct and in-direct influencing skills to generate commitment and constructively resolve issues while supporting multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity, with an entrepreneurial mind-set and a track record of results.
- Resourceful, decisive, and proactive approach to managing multiple priorities in a fast-growing organization.
- Strong communication, negotiation, and presentation skills.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Director
Job Function : Development
Apply at: : https://www.nuance.com/about-us/careers/job-description.html/Director-Business-Development-Pharmaceutical-and-MedTech/56677