Mechanical Engineering Team Lead
This role offers you a rare opportunity to directly impact the energy industry alongside a team of passionate, creative engineers and entrepreneurs in a fun, dynamic innovation center. Shell TechWorks operates as an internal startup within one of the largest companies in the world, developing and deploying technologies across Shell’s global businesses. The team has developed a company-leading technology delivery methodology that blends systems and design thinking with state-of-the-art technologies and tools, to produce highly effective solutions for Shell. In addition to developing creative systems and products, you will also be part of a truly collaborative, inclusive, multi-functional team with a mission to help Shell produce more and cleaner energy.
For more information about Shell TechWorks, please visit their website: http://www.shell.com/global/future-energy/innovation/innovate-with-shell/shell-techworks.html.
As the Mechanical Engineering Team Lead, you will have the opportunity to build and develop a team of diverse engineers, help shape product strategy and capabilities for the organization, identify and develop new business opportunities, and directly contribute as a Product Owner on multiple innovative technical projects. You will manage a team of up to 10 engineers supporting a broad range of programs and projects. Management responsibilities will include performance reviews, recruiting, staff development, program staffing, and infrastructure development (workshop space, software tools, etc.).
You will contribute to and lead engineering tasks on one or multiple projects. You should have depth in mechanical product development and technology evaluation, including concept generation, design and drafting, analysis (first-principles and computer modeling), prototyping, testing, verification, and transition to manufacturing partners. You should be capable of effectively leading multi-disciplinary teams consisting of electrical, software, and systems engineers. Familiarity with basic electrical engineering and software development principles will be essential.
In addition, you will collaborate with customers and stakeholders (internal and external to Shell), vendors in the supply chain, subcontractors, Shell TechWorks project teams, and end users to identify problems and propose valid technical solutions. This will include partnering closely with internal staff to produce technical proposals that include cost and schedule projections. You will also be responsible for ensuring a healthy, safe, secure, and environmentally-conscious work environment is maintained at all times by all staff, in compliance with corporate policies and federal and state regulations.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, M.S. preferred
- Technical leadership and management experience demonstrating the ability to:
- Manage multiple direct reports
- Lead technical teams with varying backgrounds and skill sets
- Build a cohesive team and grow team members according to their personal goals
- Develop industry and academic contacts and create a continuing education program to ensure personnel are up to date
- At least 10 years of experience developing complex mechanical and electromechanical systems
- Identify new business opportunities
- Experience fulfilling a key technical leadership role on multidisciplinary projects involving hardware and software integration.
- Experience working within multiple industries, with a demonstrated ability to rapidly and effectively transition to working with new technologies and in different working environments
- Experience working in an agile and/or SCRUM-based project environment
- Well-rounded technical background in several areas that may include:
- Electromechanical sensors (ideally for IoT applications)
- Ruggedized product design
- Electronics packaging
- System modeling, control, and optimization
- Structural mechanics
- Thermodynamics and fluid dynamics
- Industrial control systems
- Experience with the following software packages & languages is a plus:
- CAD (SolidWorks, Inventor, etc.)
- FEA (Ansys, Nastran, etc.)
- CFD (STAR-CCM+, ANSYS Fluent/CFX, etc.)
- PLM (Omnify, Agile, Windchill, etc.)
- Microsoft Project
- Programming languages (Python, VBA, etc.)
The following personal traits or abilities are critical for success:
- Ability to lead as a servant leader, embodying “people-first” attitude and values
- Openness to engage in unfamiliar technical areas with flexibility and humility
- Willingness to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally
- Willingness to deploy to the field for up to two weeks at a time on rare occasions
- Ability and drive to deliver on time, while working in a semi-autonomous environment
- Ability to create and communicate an accurate schedule
- Willingness to learn to work with the tools and solutions selected by the team
- Insatiable curiosity to understand and improve the state of art
- Ability to work effectively and build relationships with all levels of personnel, customers, suppliers, consultants - both internally and externally
- Exceptional communication skills
TechWorks is invested in maintaining its inclusive, fun, and close-knit culture. We provide generous training and development opportunities for employees, in addition to compensation, benefits, and vacation. Every day we work to provide an environment where all employees feel valued and included, able to nurture their talent as individuals and as part of a collaborative team.
A diverse and inclusive workplace, embedded in our principles of honesty, integrity and respect, brings together remarkable people and enables them to be themselves. At Shell, you will be able to apply and develop your skills and knowledge as part of a collaborative team that is helping to innovate and play a part in building a better energy future.
This role is based in a vibrant office environment located in Boston’s Seaport District. Cenergy International Services (CIS) is a dynamic company that supplies expert workforce solutions to the oil and gas industry, with offices around the world. This position is assigned to Shell TechWorks. CIS offers a generous compensation, benefits and vacation package.
Please apply directly to the position at https://shelltechworks.webhr.co/jobs/home/ by submitting a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : ""
Experience Level : ""
Job Function : ""
Apply at: : https://shelltechworks.webhr.co/jobs/home/