Principal Software Engineer - Python (US Remote)
Sophos makes IT security simple with next-generation solutions that protect networks, servers, and devices, wherever they are. Today, more than 100 million users in 150 countries and a global network of channel partners trust Sophos to deliver simple solutions to complex security challenges. Focused on innovation and backed by a global network of Sophos Labs threat intelligence centers and industry-leading support, Sophos delivers solutions that are simple to deploy, maintain, and manage, enabling organizations to focus on performance and growth. Sophos is cybersecurity made simple.
Principal Software Engineers (Python) possess the ability to function as a leader for designing, implementing, and maintaining critical software components. Frequently have direct responsibility for product features or key technology choices and implementation. Collaborates as part of a team for the development of complex systems; including requirements analysis, concept development, and design, implementation and testing, demonstrating the flexibility of role as required.
- Ability to partner effectively with PM and other developers to design and implement meeting the spirit of requirements.
- Write code (product and test) to deliver against project timeline, quality, and requirements.
- Design software components (functionality, defect fixes, tests) that form part of a larger solution, in line with team objectives.
- Define test scenarios and test cases to ensure the quality of the teams' deliverables.
Experience and Skills
- Solid understanding of cloud-based platforms and microservice architecture.
- Proven track record of implementing, testing, and deploying large scale distributed systems handling millions of requests per second.
- Capability and desire to own both the design and implementation of software components and services to solve deep technical problems.
- Automate-first mentality, and in particular, tacking the challenges associated with automating deployment, monitoring, and maintaining the health of a distributed cloud platform.
- Capability to learn, adapt and execute quickly in a fast-paced, agile development environment.
- 7+ years of experiences with Python
- 5 years of experience with Big Data technologies
- Golang experience a plus
- AWS services is a plus
- Experience using and creating RESTful APIs
- Experience with big data analytics and time-series data, ElasticSearch preferred
- Experience with Kanban or Agile development methodologies
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment best practices
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Designing and writing high-quality code
- Evaluating code and design quality
- Technical problem solving and strong debugging skills
- Strong Linux or Unix systems experience
Sophos is committed to equality opportunity in all areas of its work. All qualified applicants will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation.
If you choose to explore this opportunity, and subsequently share your CV or other personal details with Sophos, these details will be held by Sophos for 12 months in accordance with our data protection policy which can be found here and used by our recruitment team to contact you regarding this or other relevant opportunities at Sophos. If you would like Sophos to delete or update your details at any time, please reply to this or other emails from Sophos clearly stating your request, or follow the steps set out in the data protection policy describing your individual rights. If you have any questions about Sophos’ data protection practices, please contact email@example.com.