The Sr. Manager will manage and lead the R&D Research Compute Engineering team, collaborate with corporate leadership, Research and Engineering leads, Security, and IT. You will take ownership of the machine learning (#ML) and data science environment, the design, and deployment of the high-performance infrastructure, with consideration of future technological needs and trends. You will directly spearhead and shape the environment that is utilized for the development of latest AI technology and Nuance’s Conversational AI, such as Dragon Ambient Experience (DAX), Agent AI and many more.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and lead the R&D Research Computing team, fostering a culture of inclusion, accountability and shared purpose – a team responsible for design, delivery and maintenance of the Research computing environment.
- Lead transformation from an on-premise to a cloud/hybrid environment supporting evolving cutting-edge AI model development, data management, model training and inference.
- Collaborate with R&D leaders to champion a long-term vision for R&D Research computing, Machine Learning (ML) and Data Science infrastructure.
- Actively participate in architecture and code reviews for design and implementation; have the capability and drive to directly work hands-on with the team and stakeholders to understand the technologies and processes.
- Drive continual improvements for availability, performance, observability, quality and cost effectiveness.
- Align with key internal partners and vendors to deliver platforms that provides a simplified R&D experience and meets dynamic business requirements.
- Own security and compliance domains for the platform.
- Own the management of the budget for the R&D Research Computing team, participating in corporate fiscal processes.
Minimum 5+ years cloud infrastructure, software delivery and management experience.
- Experience managing high-performing teams in an Agile environment, across engineering and operations disciplines.
- Passionate about fostering a collaborative and inclusive team culture, facilitating team career growth.
- Demonstrated examples of solving infrastructure problems with software and materially improving system operability- through monitoring, service level management, lifecycle management, performance tuning, and documentation.
- Prior experience in cloud transformation initiatives (direct experience with Azure and GCP preferred). Experience creating technology roadmaps for infrastructure teams undertaking automation and cloud transformation.
- Strong background in DevOps concepts and tools; well-disciplined in continuous integration and delivery
- Excellent people and negotiation skills, able to listen to a diversity of technical opinions and build consensus.
- Good decision maker, able to manage risk with mitigation plans, and escalate issues where/when appropriate.
- Effective communicator across a variety of audiences, from senior researchers and engineers to executives.
- Experience securing products, tools, and processes.
- Experience in managing technology vendor relationships; strong financial acumen and direct experience in management of operational expenses.
- Hands-on experience architecting, designing, and delivering software systems. Comfortable troubleshooting/scripting as needed on a Linux system.
- Experience or strong understanding of high-performance computing, machine learning and data infrastructure environments, for both cloud and on-premise.
- Familiarity with Azure services, Slurm, Kubernetes, Kubeflow, Docker, Singularity, Nvidia GPUs, deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow, and other widely used frameworks.
Education: Bachelor/Master’s degree in Technology discipline (Computer Science/Engineering), MBA a plus
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Engineering
Apply at: : https://www.nuance.com/about-us/careers/job-description.html/Senior-Manager-Research-Computing/57366